Social security & health insurance
Students older than 28 must take out private health insurance, whatever their nationality. They are eligible to benefit from the scheme "universal medical coverage" (C.M.U.) if they apply to the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (C.P.A.M.).
Students from the "European economic zone" (E.E.Z)
Students younger than 28 and nationals from the EEZ must arrive in France with the European Health Insurance Card, which is to be obtained before they leave their home country. Once in France, and during their stay, they can take this form and particulars of their bank account to the Immigrants Office (Service Migrants) of the Social Security Office (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie, C.P.A.M.) in Clermont-Ferrand, to claim back possible medical expenses. However, this does not guarantee complete reimbursement of medical expenses (only 65%). Students are therefore strongly advised to take out complementary health insurance with the LMDE or with the SMERRA (specialised in student health insurance) to cover the remaining 35% of medical expenses.
Students from non European Economic Zone countries
Students younger than 28 and nationals of non E.E.E. countries have to join the student insurance scheme of the French Social Security System and pay the fees of about 215 € ; unless you are less than 20 years old, in this case you will be exempted from the payment of the contribution to the student Social Security. However, this does not guarantee complete reimbursement of medical expenses (only 65%). Students are therefore strongly advised to take out complementary health insurance with the "Mutuelle Etudiante" or with the LMDE or with the SMERRA. (specialised in student health insurance) to cover the remaining 35% of medical expenses.
In any case, if you have already contracted a public social security and health insurance policy in your home country, or if you are covered by a private insurance policy abroad, you must arrive in France with an official certificate to this effect, translated into French or into English. In this case, medical expenses are reimbursed by your foreign insurance coverage.
Students from Quebec
Students who are nationals of Quebec must arrive in France with the SE-401-Q-102-bis form, or the SE-401-Q-106 form (which can be obtained from their local Social Security Office at home). These forms give dispensation from joining student requirements in the French social security system. Students must take this form, and particulars of their bank account, to the Social Security Office in Clermont-Ferrand (Immigrants Office), to claim back medical expenses.
Last updated: July 2016